National service scheme (NSS ) was formally launched on 24th September, 1969-the birth centenary year of the Father of the nation. Therefore, 24th September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with appropriate programmes and activities. In pursuance of the National Scheme to inculcate feeling of service towards nation and understanding of national priorities amongst youth a vision of National Service Scheme came in to existence.
In Government degree college Talwari there are two units of NSS with 100 each. The overall aim of National Service Scheme is to give an extension to the higher education system and orient the student youth to community service while they are studying in educational institutions. The reason for the formulation of this objective is the general realization that the college and +2 level students have a tendency to get alienated from the village which constitute the majority for the population of the country. The educated youth who are expected to take the reins of administration in future are found to be unaware of the problems of the village/slum community and in certain cases it is necessary to arouse the social conscience of the students, and to provide them an opportunity to work with the people in the villages and slums. It is felt that their interaction with the common realities of life and bring about a change in their social perception.
Objectives of NSS
- Understand the community in which students work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop a sense of social and civic responsibility among students.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and practice national integration and social harmony.
Coordinator: Dr. Pratibha Arya
Co-coordinator : Mr. Rajneesh Kumar